Thursday, July 29, 2004

Perfectionism

I tend to be a perfectionist, which is not necessarily a good thing. I'm coming to understand perfectionism as a paralyzing disorder. It's key symptom is theoretical over-analysis. Important things never get done because the analysis phase is unending. Not sure why I have this disorder, but I have to treat it with reality, truth and action.

  1. It takes as much effort to do something as to do nothing. When the rich young ruler came to Jesus to learn what was expected of him, Jesus called him to radical action. "Sell what you own and follow me." The young man rejected the call. His expended effort was different in outcome, but not really different in amount. Selling is not harder than keeping.
  2. God is guiding me. He is beyond my analytical capabilities, so simple trust is called for. When we trust in him, we're free to say whatever needs to be said, bold to go wherever we need to go. (Ephesians 3:12, The Message)
  3. If I act on what I believe God wants me to do, I cannot make a mistake. Abraham misunderstood God when he set out to sacrifice Isaac. God prevented the mistake of human sacrifice, but rewarded Abraham's faith nonetheless.
  4. Improvement, not perfectionism, is the building block of accomplishment. To be perfect, in the Christian sense, means that nothing is lacking, because God is present. Perfectionism, on the other hand, is the attempt to supply what only God can. We improve our Christian effectiveness by relying on God more and on ourselves less. God can do anything, you know - far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us. (Ephesians 3:20, The Message)




No comments: