Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Purpose Driven Life--Its Not About Me

Purpose Driven Life
Inspite of all the advertising around me, how can I remind myself that life is really about living for God, not myself?

This question is ancient. One problem we face today is that old questions tend to be overshadowed by new information of questionalble value. For example, a TV series called "It's Good to Be " never even wonders aloud if celebrity is inherently good, or not. It also does not touch on the downside of cecelebrity. That is saved for another program...E! Hollywood True Story.

People who want to live for God are labled fanatic, or irrelevent, by a culture that lacks a divine perspective. Even the religions and philosopies publically embraced by celebrities ultimately are only about how the philosophy "makes me a better person" or makes me feel better.

I've always wanted to live for God, though I readily admit my abysmal failure at the vocation. Why? Because my efforts have been about making myself feel right or justified in my well informed conclusions rather than being about knowing acting in concert with the persons of God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

The other evening a hymn from my childhood was rattling around in my head.

When we walk with the Lord, In the light of His Word/ What a glory he sheds on our way. While we do his good will/ He abides with us still/ And with all who will trust and obey.

How uttlerly orthodox this verse is. I can't think of a saint of the church who could not sing it with complete abandon. In fact, it is perhaps the best prescription for joining their holy ranks!

What can I do be continously reminded that my life is not about me, but about the Giver of Life and his purpose for putting me on this planet?
1. Be skeptical about cultural cues. TV does not add value to bankrupt ideas.
2. Be open to divine promptings and nudges. And act on them.
3. Remember that although history provides clues as to the ways and places of God's activity, he may ask you to do his work in new ways. His mercies never end. They are new every morning.

No comments: